I am not sure about you guys, but my Christmas lights have been up for about a week now. This Christmas Season has extra special meaning for me and my lovely wife. Our daughter is now a happy and healthy and occasionally obnoxious 4.5 year old. And we started our third attempt at Elf on The Shelf this season! Things have been in warp drive for us with household projects and redecorating the inside and outside of our property; but we still take time to enjoy each other as well as the season.
Christmas Decoration Safety
I am ‘that guy’ in the neighborhood that over-decorates his house. Or at least I used to be. We gained a new neighbor three years ago that loves to decorate more than I do! Their house is extremely well-done, and extremely labor intensive. I thought that perhaps our would neighbors get very annoyed with our lights, musicals, and blow up characters this time of year. In reality, the Christmas season has been spreading and three of us neighbors all got secret ‘Thank You’ notes for helping make our community “bright, festive, and fun.” What a great recognition for us!
In years past, I decorated to remind me of home (Iowa and the snow); now I decorate for my wife and child. I hope that they get as much enjoyment out of my Christmas decorations as I do. But being the aptly-named Safety Nick, I would like to remind all of you about a few easy safety tips for the Holiday Season.
• Flat ground is safe ground, being up on the roof is dangerous and deadly
• Christmas lights are designed to be hung, not stapled to your house
• Use only outdoor approved extension cords and all-weather kits
• Live Christmas trees need extra water in our warm climate, and they should be disposed of ASAP after 12/26
• Indoor decorations can prove hazardous to your pets and humans alike- use timers and place wires away from high traffic areas.
• Swivel chairs, bar stools, folding chairs, etc., are all recipes for disaster. Be sure to use a step stool or ladder as needed to reach high areas.
• Keep a fully charged fire extinguisher in/near your kitchen as that’s the most likely place for a fire to start.
• If you have a living Christmas tree, keep it watered and remove any dead branches. Dried out trees can burn down your house in as little as 3 minutes while you’re sleeping.
Christmas season can also be a time of increased burglaries and personal attacks. Be sure to read and save a copy of the attached flyer to help show you how to correctly call for help, if you should need it. Feel free to reach out to use for more safety tips around your home.
Until next time, stay safe my friends!
# # # # # # #
Safety Nick, as he is affectionately known, is the owner and operator of Home Hazard Prevention, LLC. Nick has been a professional firefighter in the South East Valley since 2005. HHP was launched in the Winter of 2012. With Nick’s extensive background in responding to and preventing emergencies, he decided that it was time to help the citizens of Maricopa and Pinal Counties learn how to be safe in a proactive manner. Nick has a wonderful (and understanding!) wife and the world’s most beautiful baby girl. He works tireless hours not only to help save your families lives, both as a firefighter and as a community safety expert, but also to be able to spend quality time with his family.
© HHP, LLC 2012-2019