Selecting Appropriate Childcare
Leaving your child for the first time (or the 50th time) can be a nerve-wracking experience. You need to be able to fully vet a competent person to watch your child, even if its only for a short time. Many of us cannot afford to spend every day at home with our children, and even of we do; we still need to have our date nights or just get a little adult time. Kids will be kids, and they will get hurt, so do a little research before deciding on the best provider for your family. But do not trust your child to just anyone, check out these steps below to aid in finding an appropriate childcare provider for your little.
• Pay attention to how your potential nanny, sitter or childcare provider interacts with other children
• Pay attention to how you child interacts with the potential babysitter
• Introduce both sides while you are present
• Check their policies for misbehavior, television, sleeping, feeding, etc. to see how well they match your own personal preferences
• Make sure you feel comfortable with the childcare provider – they will be telling you a lot of information about your child so you need to be able to communicate well with them
• Trust your gut! If a potential provider doesn’t “feel” right, keep looking!
• Make sure that they are CPR and First Aid certified. (We offer this as a mobile training service. And all of our instructors are active firefighters and paramedics!)
HHP offers these courses, and we would be more than happy to help you and those responsible for your children learn how to best respond to a medical emergency. A list of available safety programs is listed here.
Call or email HHP for more info or to schedule a safety service, as taught by your local firefighters and safety experts. www.HomeHazardPrevention.com #ThinkSafetyLiveSafely!