In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 button battery swallowing cases were reported in the U.S., resulting in 19 serious injuries and in some cases, deaths. The number of cases resulting in serious injury or death has more than quadrupled in the past five years. When a coin lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort. Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
Household Poison & Battery Safety
Poison Prevention Tips:
Store medicines and products in their original containers.
Lock medicines and household products where children cannot see or reach them.
Use child-resistant packaging. Replace the caps tightly.
Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
Keep purses and briefcases out of children’s reach.
Prevent Poisoning from Medicines:
Read the label before taking or giving medicine.
Use medicine only as directed by your doctor or the label.
Call medicine by its proper name, not “candy”.
Take medicine in a place where children cannot watch, because children learn by imitating adults.
Prevent Poisoning from Products and Plants:
Use household products according to label directions. Mixing household products can cause dangerous gases to form.
Keep house plants out of children’s reach. Even if the plants are not poisonous, they might cause choking.
Be sure to contact Home Hazard Prevention with any of your family safety needs. Remember, a complete safety program does not have to be expensive or time-consuming; and we can help with that. As a group of professional firefighters, there in no one more qualified to help keep your family safe than us!