In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 button battery swallowing cases were reported in the U.S., resulting in 19 serious injuries and in some cases, deaths. The number of cases resulting in serious injury or death has more than quadrupled in the past five years. When a coin lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort. Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
Household Poison & Battery Safety
Poison Prevention Tips:
Store medicines and products in their original containers.
Lock medicines and household products where children cannot see or reach them.
Use child-resistant packaging. Replace the caps tightly.
Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
Keep purses and briefcases out of children’s reach.
Prevent Poisoning from Medicines:
Read the label before taking or giving medicine.
Use medicine only as directed by your doctor or the label.
Call medicine by its proper name, not “candy”.
Take medicine in a place where children cannot watch, because children learn by imitating adults.
Prevent Poisoning from Products and Plants:
Use household products according to label directions. Mixing household products can cause dangerous gases to form.
Keep house plants out of children’s reach. Even if the plants are not poisonous, they might cause choking.
Be sure to contact Home Hazard Prevention with any of your family safety needs. Remember, a complete safety program does not have to be expensive or time-consuming; and we can help with that. As a group of professional firefighters, there in no one more qualified to help keep your family safe than us!
‘Safety Nick’, as he is affectionately known, is the owner and operator of Home Hazard Prevention, LLC (HHP). As a professional firefighter in the Valley since 2005 with an extensive background in responding to and preventing emergencies, Nick felt that it was time to help the citizens of Maricopa and Pinal Counties learn how to be safe and protect their loved ones in a proactive manner. In 2012, HHP was launched. With the support of his wonderful (and understanding!) wife and two beautiful children, Nick works tireless hours, not only to help save your family’s lives, as a firefighter and a community safety expert, but also to be able to spend quality time with his family. Nick moved to Arizona over 20 years ago and enjoys exploring our great state with his family.
Be sure to contact Home Hazard Prevention for any of your family or business safety needs. From mobile CPR training to car seat education to infant safety (and much more!) HHP is here to help! Remember, a complete safety program does not have to be expensive or time-consuming. There is no one more qualified than a group of professional firefighters to keep your family safe! (480) 448-0266 or Nick@HomeHazardPrevention.com
© HHP, LLC 2012-2021